Life Thru the Lens... The Bee Charmer
I began Life Thru the Lens several years ago as a way to create a community at a time when my actual life wasn't all that terrific. I haven't written much about our lives here, but as a family, we were dealing with several chaotic life events and for almost five years it felt hard to breath, much less live. This little community kept me going during some dark and dreary days. It gave me hope when when my world was crumbling around me. It gave me joy when there was nothing to celebrate, and most of all it gave me friendship during a time when I was extremely lonely. In many ways you all breathed the very essence of life into me. So, it is with great sadness that I feel like I must shut the link-up down.
I will still write here, and come to visit you all; you mean too much to me to say goodbye to your friendship. However, my plate has become so very full that I haven't been able to keep up with the commitment of the link-up part. I do not think it is fair to you all not to be fully engaged.
A goodbye is never fun without a party, so one last link-up is in order....
I created another composite image for the April ShiftArt challenge. I really have so much fun doing this and usually just approach it with no real end product in mind. I like the freedom of creating with no intent. How did I do it....
~ I began with the cheery blossom image (5). I removed the bee, converted it to black and white, made a levels adjustment to it to bring up the highlights, and then flipped it horizontally.
~ Then, I extracted the woman and dropped her into the cherry blossom scene by duplicating the image and then masking off the parts of the blossoms that fell onto the woman's face.
~ Next, I made a saturation and hue change to the woman (1) to give her more of a sepia look, changed the color of her eyes and lips, added some blush, and then sent her into the liquify tool to change the structure of her face. In the liquify tool, I made her eyes a bit bigger, made her cheeks bigger, her nose smaller, and elongated her chin. I also changed the shape of her eyebrows. At this point I knew the direction I was heading in and wanted to give her a Medieval peasant look.
~As you can tell from the initial image, the woman was just a head shot, so I used the bodice from the statue (3) to make her blouse, and used the arms off the Carnival image (4) for my peasant girl's sleeves. I overlaid her sleeves with the white image with black circles (4), skewing it to look natural. I extracted her scarf (2) so that I could alter it a bit using the liquefy tool once more and then each individual piece was overlaid with the gold texture.
~ I added a curve adjustment to my newly created peasant girl, but was a bit lost at that point. That was when I remember the bee I initially took off the image. I decided to add some bees of my own, skewing and transforming them to fit in. Finally, overlaid the entire piece with the bokeh image and ran the composite through the Nik collection filter to finish it off.
This piece was rather simple compared to some of the composites I have been working on, but overall it took me about three hours to complete. Ahhhh, three hours of bliss. One last look at my girl... I am calling this piece The Bee Charmer.